Peer Reviewed Research
14. Tharp, D. T., Camarda, J., Lee, S., de Jong, P. J. (in press). Do CFP® Professionals engage in less misconduct? Exploring the importance of job classification when comparing misconduct rates among financial service professionals. Applied Economics Letters.
13. Tharp, D. T., Lurtz, M., Mielitz, K., Kitces, M., & Ammerman, D. A. (in press). Technology use and time spent in the financial planning process. Journal of Financial Counseling and Planning.
12. Hickey, C. & Tharp, D. T. (in press). U.S. Health insurance marketplace taxonomy and the influence of labeling on consumer perception of plan suitability. Journal of Consumer Affairs. https://doi.org/10.1111/joca.12340
11. Tharp, D. T. (in press). Emotional closeness of conversation partners and emotional control with implications for financial service professionals. Journal of Financial Service Professionals.
10. Tharp, D. T. & Parks-Stamm, E. J. (in press). Gender differences in the intended use of parental leave benefits: Implications for human capital development. Journal of Family and Economic Issues. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10834-020-09722-8
9. Tharp, D. T. (2020). Consumer perceptions of financial advisory titles in the United States and implications for title regulation. International Journal of Consumer Studies, 44(6), 597-615. https://doi.org/10.1111/ijcs.12597
8. Tharp, D. T., Seay, M. C., Carswell, A. T., & MacDonald, M. (2020). Big Five personality traits, dispositional affect, and financial satisfaction among older adults. Personality and Individual Differences, 166, 110211. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2020.110211
7. Tharp, D. T. (2020). Potential consumer harm due to regulation on financial advisory communication in the FinTech Age. Journal of Financial Counseling and Planning, 31(1), 146-161. https://doi.org/10.1891/JFCP-18-00041
6. Tharp, D. T., Seay, M. C., Stueve, C., & Anderson, S. (2020). Financial satisfaction and homeownership. Journal of Family and Economic Issues, 41, 255-280. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10834-019-09652-0
5. Lurtz, M., Tharp, D. T., Mielitz, K., Kitces, M., & Ammerman, D. A. (2020). Decomposing the gender divorce gap among personal financial planners. Journal of Family and Economic Issues, 41, 19-36. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10834-019-09655-x
4. Tharp, D. T., Lurtz, M., Mielitz, K., Kitces, M., & Ammerman, D. A. (2019). Examining the gender pay gap among financial planning professionals: A Blinder-Oaxaca decomposition. Financial Planning Review, 2(3-4), e1061. https://doi.org/10.1002/cfp2.1061
3. Klontz, B. T., Zabek, F., Taylor, C., Bivens, A., Horwitz, E., Klontz, P. T., Tharp, D. T., & Lurtz, M. (2019). Sentimental Savings Study: Results of a double-blind, randomized control experiment to increase personal savings. Journal of Financial Planning, 32(10), 44-55.
2. Tharp, D. T. (2018). The behaviorally-enlightened fiduciary: addressing moral dilemmas through a decision-theoretic model of moral value judgment. Journal of Personal Finance, 17(1), 69-85.
1. Tharp, D. T. & Kitces, M. (2018). Life-cycle earnings curves and safe savings rates. Journal of Retirement, 5(3), 109-120. https://doi.org/10.3905/jor.2018.5.3.109
Peer Reviewed Book Chapters
1. Klontz, B. T., Klontz, P. T., & Tharp, D. T. (2015). Experiential financial therapy. In Financial Therapy (pp. 103-120). Springer International Publishing.